Thursday, September 11, 2008

Memorials

Early this morning I arrived in NYC with an entire day to myself. Coincidently, the hotel is in the neighborhood of Ground Zero so I dropped off my luggage and went to pay my respects. On the walk it was easy to distinguish between those who still mourn, those with stories to tell, and everyone still trying to make sense of the tragic events of September 11, 2001.
Memorials not only honor the dead but perhaps more importanatly, give us a time to stop and recall the enormous loss that must so often be pushed aside if we're to carry on. I didn't personally know anyone who perished on 9/11 and can't come close to imagining the pain of those around me in lower Manhattan but today I joined New Yorkers and the rest of the nation in recalling a great loss.

No comments: